JFON Seeks Legal Advocate
Tennessee Justice for Our Neighbors seeks a bilingual (English-Spanish) Legal Advocate to support the work of two attorneys assisting immigrants with their immigration legal needs. The Legal Advocate assists with interpretation, translation, client intake, document preparation, scheduling, and other administrative tasks.
The successful candidate must speak, read, and write Spanish fluently; be able to answer the telephone; and converse in Spanish. She or he must have an interest in immigration law, but a law degree or previous legal experience is not required. Previous experience in a law office setting is preferred, however. The job requires good oral and written communication skills, problem solving skills, and the ability to multi-task. She or he must possess basic computer skills (PC preferred) and be able and willing to work one Saturday each month. She or he must exhibit patience and understanding with individuals from various social and economic circumstances. Knowledge of or experience with motivational interviewing desired but not required. Cultural sensitivity is required.
About Tennessee Justice for Our Neighbors
Tennessee Justice for Our Neighbors is a non-profit organization that provides high-quality immigration legal services for free or at low cost to our clients. Our mission is to welcome immigrants with compassion, dignity, and love. We advocate for immigrant rights and educate communities of faith and the public about immigration issues. Tennessee Justice for Our Neighbors is part of the 15-state National Justice for Our Neighbors network, which conducts immigration legal clinics throughout the United States in coordination with the United Methodist Church.
Full-time reporting to two attorneys, salaried position with benefits
• Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
• English and Spanish speaking, writing, and comprehension fluency
• Culturally sensitive, understanding, and patient with clients
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize effectively
• Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented
• Available to work one Saturday per month
• Microsoft Office Suite and database management experience
• Able to learn new software systems in a timely way
• Legal background and general knowledge of immigration issues preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Contact Information and Procedure:
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com, ATTN: Wade Munday, Executive Director. No phone calls please.