Signs Someone Might Be Dangerous
15 Signs Someone Might Be Dangerous
October has been officially recognized as Domestic Violence Month to bring awareness to the grave issue plaguing Tennessee and our nation. Legal Aid Society is working to spread the word to our fellow citizens. The organization has made significant contributions to fight domestic abuse and they want to reach those who are in dangerous situations to seek help. Read LAS Gives Domestic Violence Victims Hope
Do they do one or more of these things?
Then it’s time for you to get help or get out.
- Wants to get involved fast: Right away he wants you to promise to only be with him. Says, “No one’s ever loved me like you do.”
- Jealous: He wants to make sure you aren’t with anyone else; calls all the time or shows up without telling you he’s coming.
- Wants to control you: Wants to know who you talked to and where you were; checks mileage on your car; keeps all the money; makes you ask for his OK to go anywhere or do anything.
- Expects you to be perfect: He expects you to know what he wants and meet his every need.
- Cuts you off from others: Doesn’t want you to see family and friends; won’t let you have a phone or car; doesn’t want you to work.
- Blames you for problems: If anything goes wrong, it’s always someone else’s fault—the boss, you. Everyone is out to get him.
- Blames others for his feelings: He say’s, “You’re hurting me by not doing what I tell you” or “You make me mad” instead of “I’m mad.”
- Gets upset easily: He gets made about things that are just part of life.
- Hurts animals or children: Kills or punishes animals. Wants children to do things they can’t or teases them until they cry.
- Uses forces during sex: Enjoys throwing you down or holding you down against your will during sex; says he finds the idea of rape exciting.
- Says things to hurt you: Always criticizes you or says cruel things; puts you down, curses, calls you ugly names.
- Thinks women should obey men: Wants you to serve, obey and stay at home.
- Sudden changes in mood: Switches from sweet and loving to mad in a few minutes.
- Has hit women before: Says he hit women in the past.
- Says he will hurt you: Says things like “I’ll break your neck,” then says “I didn’t really mean it.’
You can get help from:
Legal Aid Society 1-800-238-1443
National Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)