Volunteer with TN Free Legal Answers
Help a vulnerable Tennessean with their civil legal question. Anywhere! Anytime! All you need is an internet connection!
What is TN Free Legal Answers?
TN Free Legal Answers (formerly called Online TN Justice or OTJ) is a website where financially qualifying Tennesseans can post their civil legal questions.The site screens potential users for eligibility. It's like pro bono clinic - just online.
Who does it serve?
TN Free Legal Answers serves vulnerable Tennesseans who cannot travel to a legal clinic or who cannot be served by legal aid because they are slightly above legal aid's poverty threshold or legal aid does not have the resources to assist them. The two largest sources of referrals to OTJ are legal aid providers and court clerks. To qualify to use the site, users must be:
- low-income Tennesseans, whose household income is below two-hundred fifty percent (250%) of the Federal Poverty Guidelines,
- are not incarcerated
- have less than five thousand dollars ($5,000) in total assets
As a volunteer with TFLA:
- You can log in whenever/wherever you choose
- You can pick which questions you’ll answer
- You’ll receive a weekly reminder telling how many open questions there are by category
- You’re covered by NLADA Malpractice Insurance
What are the benefits?
- Quick, easy way to help low-income, elderly, and disabled Tennesseans
- You’re anonymous to clients; clients only see "Volunteer Attorney" for your response
- Your time spent researching/answering questions qualifies for pro bono CLE credit
- You qualify for the advocate rate for the statewide Equal Justice University conference where you can earn up to 15 hours in CLE credit
Ready to volunteer?
Signing up to volunteer with TFLA is quick and easy:
- Go to tn.freelegalanswers.org
- Click “Lawyers Sign Up” at the top right
What can you expect after signing up?
- Your registration will be reviewed to ensure you have an active law license in the state of Tennessee.
- When you're approved, you'll receive a welcome email from the site and its administrator.
- You can start answering questions right away. Don't forget to record the time you spend researching the answer to document it for CLE credit. There's a place to do that right on the site!