How TALS Fulfills Its Mission
TALS is a statewide non-profit organization that seeks to build partnerships to support the delivery of effective civil legal services for low-income and elderly Tennesseans. TALS is committed to increasing equal access to justice across Tennessee. TALS is an alliance of the federally-funded legal aid programs, independent providers of civil legal services, and supporting agencies in Tennessee.
TALS seeks the following through its various programs:
- increase financial support for Tennessee’s legal services programs;
- provide high-quality training for civil legal advocates;
- grow and broaden pro bono participation in Tennessee;
- utilize technology to better assist low-income Tennesseans;
- support Supreme Court efforts to expand access to justice.
Facts about Tennesseans with low-income who are served by legal aid programs:
- 70% had a civil legal problem in 2003
- 43% had more than three civil legal problems
- Those with jobs have more legal problems than the non-working poor
- Single-parent households with children have significantly more legal problems than two-parent households
Report from the Statewide Comprehensive Legal Needs Survey for 2003, UT SWORPS
Read full report
Our Board of Directors
The TALS' board of directors comprises a broad spectrum of individuals throughout the legal community. The board has included representatives from various Tennessee bar associations, the Tennessee Bar Foundation, federally-funded legal aid organizations, other public interest organizations, law schools, legal clinics, and the private bar.
The TALS staff provides coordination, support, advocacy, training opportunities, communications, resource development and other services to implement the mission and priorities of the alliance.
Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services
50 Vantage Way, Suite 250
Nashville, TN 37228
TALS continues to be a leader in the access the justice community. TALS drives change and improvement in legal services delivery by leveraging partnerships – new and old.
Equal Justice Awards
The civil legal justice community convenes for the Equal Justice University each fall. It is at this event that the Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services recognizes individuals for their unparallel commitment and service. One of our greatest strengths in providing legal services in Tennessee is our historic tradition of working together, across program lines, to address common problems that clients and programs face.