LAS-Murfreesboro Seeks Intake Worker
Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands in Murfreesboro, TN seeks a full time Secretary/Intake Worker. See the description and how to apply below.
Position Title: Secretary/Intake Worker
Employment Status: Full-‐‑time; Non-‐‑Exempt
Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Supervisor: Murfreesboro Managing Attorney
Supervisory responsibilities: none
Perform routine clerical and secretarial work in transcribing, typing, drafting, proofing legal documents, answering telephones, making telephone calls, courteously greeting the public, handling mail, data processing, file maintenance, and record keeping. Complete intake on potential clients involving social security, bankruptcy, benefits, family law, housing, etc. Make presentations and provide brochures to the community.
• Transcribe dictation using Microsoft Word; includes memoranda, letters, briefs, complaints, and other correspondence. Proofread documents.
• Answer telephones, greet walk-‐‑in guests, gather information, complete intake and screen calls for possible case openings. Call clients, get information, and set up appointments when requested. Complete intakes on potential clients involving social security, bankruptcy, benefits, family law, and housing issues.
• Make presentations and provide brochures to the community.
• Deliver office mail to the post office daily.
• Complete reports and track other information for grants as may be assigned.
• Respond to all mail and email requests for assistance.
• Become proficient with using Legal Files case management system.
• Use Vidyo conferencing system when appropriate.
• File and retrieve files using tickler system.
• Operate office machines.
• Provide backup support for other support staff.
Other general office duties as needed in the office and as requested by Executive Director or Managing Attorney.
Must be very detailed oriented and have good organizational skills. Must be able to follow directions and work with a team and independently. Sensitivity to the needs of low-‐‑income people. Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards. Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills. Strong typing, computer and proofreading skills. Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) required. Ability to learn new computer skills and new technology. Bilingual in English/Spanish languages, Legal Files database experience, paralegal or college degree and prior experience working in the legal field are preferred. High school diploma or equivalent is required. Equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered.
Hours: 40 hours per week -‐‑ Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with one hour off for lunch. Work after hours or on weekends may be occasionally required. Work is
performed primarily in an office setting. Majority of time spent seated typing on a computer or talking and listening on the phone or with someone in person. Standing,
walking, and bending are necessary on a normal day. Occasionally lifts and carries up to 25 pounds. Occasionally travel is necessary. LAS is a smoke-‐‑free office and
makes no allowances for smoke breaks.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Salary: DOE. Excellent benefits.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and three references (with phone numbers).
No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail to:
Human Resources Administrator
Re: Murfreesboro secretary position
Legal Aid Society
PO Box 5209
Oak Ridge, TN 37831
Position will remain open until filled. The Legal Aid Society is an equal opportunity employer
and welcomes applications from women, minorities and persons with disabilities.