LGBT Cultural Competency CLE - November 17th
The National Center for Lesbian Rights, California Rural Legal Assistance and the Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services present a:
TRAIN the TRAINER CLE on LGBT Cultural Competency for Law Firms
DATE: Monday, November 17th – 9:30 – 3:00 pm CST
LOCATION: Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services
50 Vantage Way, Ste. 250 / Nashville, TN 37228
This training that will enhance your expertise in providing legal services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) clients and their families. It will also equip you to begin training your colleagues in this fast developing area of law. While LGBT people and their families have long been part of our client communities, now we have an opportunity to take a closer look at their needs and understand the steps that we can take as attorneys and advocates to provide culturally competent legal assistance, as well as service that is attentive to the particular legal challenges that frequently affect LGBT communities.
Attorneys and non-attorney staff are encouraged to attend. Some familiarity with LGBT issues is helpful, and materials will be sent to all participants in advance of the training to prepare for the session.
The goals of the training include:
- Build a deeper understanding of LGBT experiences, both personal and legal
- Develop a vision of what it means to be an LGBT culturally competent law firm
- Enhance skills for training on LGBT cultural competency
- Increase understanding of key concepts related to sexual orientation and gender identity
- Learn and practice LGBT-related ‘issue spotting’ in relation to substantive legal topics
- Familiarize trainers with training agendas and materials for use in their organizations
- Develop initial action plans for moving forward
- Build connections and support for doing this work
Cost of the training – includes 5 hours of CLE credit, training materials and lunch.
- $20 for Legal Services Staff and Volunteers, Advocates and Pro Bono Volunteers with Access to Justice, Online TN Justice & Faith Based Iniative
- $100 for Private Attorneys
Have questions? Contact Anne Fox at the TN Alliance for Legal Services: firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-627-0956 x 26.