WTLS Seeks Managing Attorney for Pro Bono Project
PRO BONO PROJECT-MANAGING ATTORNEY
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for providing support for and coordination of cases referred to the Pro Bono Project. This position is also responsible for recruitment and retention of private attorneys willing to assist clients in our 17 county service area and to develop and implement opportunities for pro-bono and reduced-fee private bar civil legal assistance to low-income West Tennesseans.
*Law degree and admitted to practice in Tennessee
*5 years of experience preferred
*Demonstrate resourcefulness and ability to initiate and implement new projects
*Strong organizational, problem solving, language, computer and communication skills
*Commitment to providing access to justice in civil matters for low-income West Tennesseans.
- Manage the private attorney involvement day to day operations, review cases referred from the intake system, and determine the eligibility of the client for pro bono services.
- Direct the case acceptance process of the volunteer attorneys and promote participation so that cases are timely placed.
- Communicate regularly with volunteer attorneys regarding assigned cases and maintain case file notes and status updates to ensure proper oversight and timely closure of PAI cases.
- Acquire and maintain general knowledge of substantive law and new legal developments important to low-income West Tennesseans.
- Provide legal advice, counseling or other brief legal services, and perform other case management duties and responsibilities in order to comply with funding requirements.
- Actively participate in statewide pro bono initiatives, boards and committees as well as local bar associations.
- Assist in the identification of grant sources, preparation of grant documents and retention of grant funds.
- Keeps current on best practices in the area of pro bono programs and all rules and regulations of WTLS.
- Maintain an ongoing recruitment strategy, conduct CLE events and trainings for volunteer attorneys.
- Organize, develop, implement, and participate in pro bono or reduced fee opportunities for legal professionals, including legal clinics, within the WTLS seventeen county service area.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees in this position.
* Requires a valid driver’s license.
*Physical requirements are sitting, standing, lifting up to 25 pounds, speaking, hearing, bending, squatting or the ability to perform essential job functions with reasonable accommodations.
* Normal working week for full-time position is 37.5 hours per week.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation based on experience and qualifications consistent with WTLS’ Wage Administration Plan. General benefits include 11 paid holidays; generous annual and sick leave; medical, dental, vision, life, and long term disability coverage plus opportunity to participate in a flex plan; retirement benefits.
Send cover letter explaining your interest in this position, resume, writing sample and references to: Hiring Committee, West Tennessee Legal Services, Inc., P.O. Box 2066, Jackson, TN 38302. Deadline for submission is November 17, 2017. Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. West Tennessee Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and handicapped persons are encouraged to apply.